The Aim of the Wessex Regionalist Party is:
to obtain and implement self-government for Wessex so as to achieve all the Principles of the Charter (see below).
The Values of the Party, as set out in our Charter, are:
- Identity – To promote the cultural and economic identity of Wessex.
- Democracy – To bring into existence devolved, direct democracy in order to give the people of Wessex maximum control over their own lives.
- Quality – To optimise the quality of life for everyone residing, working in or visiting the region.
- Environment – To minimise the adverse impact of human activity on the environment.
- The World – To contribute to the creation of a sustainable and equitable global economy in which the health, security and liberty of all is paramount, regardless of race or creed.
- Enjoyment – To make the whole process of politics relevant and enjoyable.
These aims are fine, but not necessarily unique. Other political parties and movements will advocate the same or similar aims, e.g. uphold democracy, protect the environment, etc. What makes WR different are the values that we apply, when planning HOW to achieve these aims within Wessex. Building on the model of the Wessex Clubmen during the English Civil War, we look for models and initiatives that promote a uniquely Wessex (third) way.
Every policy adopted has to be consistent with and support the overarching aim of
Devolution – the reason why WR exists
Policies are then tested against three other values:
Vital Democracy )
Common Ownership ) adopted from CommonWealth
Ethical Politics )
We will support other parties or movements on initiatives outside Wessex which are in keeping with our aims but will never take the lead; our focus has to remain Wessex.