Studying has been systematically discouraged by successive governments. Rising levels of student debt deter older people and those from poorer backgrounds from going to university. We believe that university tuition fees should be abolished and maintenance grants, related to income, restored. Students will once again become eligible to claim benefits.
A regionalist government in Wessex will:
- restore benefits to 16 and 17 year olds and full housing benefit to the under-25s
- increase investment in an expanded programme of higher and further education and vocational training
- abolish tuition fees and restore student grants
- provide start-up packages and loans for new businesses including agriculture
- provide help in the housing market for first-time buyers.
Meanwhile, the Wessex Regionalists will:
- support the establishment of ‘Youth Parliaments’ to ensure that the views of young people are recognised by the political system.